Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Howards End

HOWARDS END (E.M. Forster) - One Star

Howards End is now the fourth book to fail the 100-page test (After The Power and The Glory, A House for Mr. Biswas and American Pastoral).

Every book I start I insist upon reading at least 100 pages before giving it a rating. I figure that, if after 100 pages I still don't have the slightest interest in the story or the characters, I stop reading and give it a one-star rating. Sometimes I trudge through and read the whole novel anyway (Lolita, Under the Glacier).

Not this one. Mind-numbingly dull characters, a paper-thin (and boring) plot arc, some unusual story structure choices (why a whole chapter on Leonard Bast so early in the novel? I understand he becomes a major character later in the story, but he's a peripheral character in ONE SCENE in the first hundred pages: we do not need a chapter devoted to setting up his character that early in the novel), and some excessively florid writing are the four major flaws I had with the book.

That, and the first 100 pages was nothing but social faux pas and the awkwardness of cross-class relations in early twentieth century England. Which I'm sure was riveting at the time it was written, but now it's like trying to choke down drywall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home